Our kitchen is next on my project list. My budget, though, is tight. I need to spend less than $1000.
The floors are in good shape. They are an attractive ceramic tile, which is nice. I don't think I want to do anything to/with those. Also, the appliances are updated. We bought a stainless stove and dishwasher in 2009.
The cabinets, on the other hand, are in need of help. They are decent quality and in good shape for the most part. They are not, however, attractive. They have oddly shaped inset panels. The pulls are in the center of the doors, which I understand is standard for fine cabinetry, but they are hard to use. The kids generally just grab the corner, which is wearing away the paint. (I'll post pictures later, but I have to clean off the cabinets first. Right now, I wouldn't let anyone see my kitchen in the state its in.)
At the moment, my plan is this:
- Paint the cabinets. I think an antique glaze might be a nice finish.
- New hardware. I've picked out some iron hardware that looks nice.
- Tear out the soffits and build shelves near the ceiling.
- Add crown molding.
- Replace the countertops. I would love a granite tile, but ceramic is certainly an option.
- Tile the backsplash.
- Possibly replace the sink.
- Paint the dining nook, which means that I need to do something with the wall and the wainscot.
- Replace the range hood.
- Build in the microwave, somewhere.
- Revamp storage for my pans and lids.
- Update the lighting.
(The following are from Emily Smith's Faux Painting site)
These are white with antique glaze...
I can't say that I am a fan of the wallpaper, though.
The picture below is from Apartment Therapy. I love the fact that the cabinets are painted, but are a light colored neutral rather than white. And, of course, I love the green walls.